Minister for Health, Simon Harris TD, has said today (Monday) that the new online service to apply for a Medical Card is quick and easy.
The website, www.medicalcard.ie,
was launched today.
Minister Harris said:
“This new service enables people for the first time to apply online for a Medical Card quickly and easily, using the HSE’s step by step guide. Users can find out if they are eligible for a Medical Card immediately, and if they are, the HSE has said that their application will be processed in 15 working days. The service allows applicants to scan and upload documents and other information. Almost 440,000 applications were received by the National Medical Card Unit in 2017, so this new, streamlined service will bring great benefits for many people."
“This is a very welcome new development by the HSE and is part of the ongoing streamlining and modernisation of the operation of the medical card scheme. This puts the applicant at the centre of the process and I am sure will, in time, become the preferred method of application for many applicants, both first time and those seeking a renewal. I would urge anyone who needs to apply for a medical card to log on to the new system and see how easy it is.”
Notes to the Editor:
Benefits of new National Medical Card Online service
- The online system guides you through each step of the application process.
- Applicants can submit all supporting documentation digitally, including photographs of relevant material.
- Your GP will be able to accept you onto their panel via the online system.
- If we need to contact you about your application, we can email instead of writing to you.
- When you have submitted your financial details as part of the online application, we will tell you straight away if you qualify for a medical card.
- Complete application will be processed in 15 working days.
Full details about the National Medical Card Online service are available at www.medicalcard.ie.