The purpose of the Strategy is to provide an outline of eHealth and demonstrate how the individual citizen, the Irish healthcare delivery systems – both public and private – and the economy as a whole will benefit from eHealth.
It shows how the proper introduction and utilisation of eHealth will ensure:
- the patient is placed at the centre of the healthcare delivery system and becomes an empowered participant in the provision and pursuit of their health and wellbeing
- the successful delivery of health systems reform and the associated structural, financial and service changes planned
- the realisation of health service efficiencies including optimum resource utilisation
- Ireland’s healthcare system can respond to the challenge defined by the EU task force report - Redesigning health in Europe for 2020 - to ensure that in the future all EU citizens have access to a high level of healthcare, anywhere in the Union, and at a reasonable cost to our healthcare systems
- the potential of eHealth as a driver for economic growth and development can be realised