A notice about cookies

This website uses cookies. Some cookies may have been set already. To find out more about our use of cookies you can visit our Privacy policy. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it.


What to do if you are a student who has lost your job because of COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Published: 24 March 2020
From: Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

If you are a student who has lost your job due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

Depending on your means, you may also be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) Supplements.

If you are a full-time student with a part-time job in the evenings or at weekends, you can get the Pandemic Unemployment Payment as you have lost work.

But you cannot get a regular jobseeker’s payment as you are not looking and available for full-time work.

If you are a non-EU student with a PPS number, you are also eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment.