Ministers Calleary and Chambers announce investment of €35.7 million for Inis Oírr pier development
-
From: Department of Rural and Community Development and the Gaeltacht
- Published on: 28 August 2025
- Last updated on: 28 August 2025
- First project to be announced following the review of the €275bn National Development Plan
- €30m construction contract awarded to Ward & Burke Construction following competitive tender process
- Construction expected to be completed within two years
- Largest single investment in offshore islands and in the Gaeltacht by Department of Rural and Community Development and the Gaeltacht
The Minister for Rural and Community Development and the Gaeltacht, Dara Calleary TD, and Minister for Public Expenditure, Infrastructure, Public Service Reform and Digitalisation, Jack Chambers TD, have announced today (Thursday, 28 August) that funding of €35.75 million has been approved for Galway County Council to proceed with the Inis Oírr pier extension project, a flagship infrastructure project under the Government’s National Development Plan.
The funding approval has enabled Galway County Council to award the main construction contact, valued at €30 million, to Ward & Burke Construction Ltd. following a two-year procurement process.
The development comprises the construction of a concrete pier extension and a breakwater, designed to provide better protection from waves and storms within the harbour, along with increased berthage space for vessels, particularly during the summer months when demand is greatest due to tourist traffic.
Ministers Calleary and Chambers made the announcement during a visit to Inis Oírr today to meet with members of the island community along with representatives of Galway County Council and the contractors.
Speaking at the announcement, Minister for Rural and Community Development and the Gaeltacht, Dara Calleary TD, said:
“It gives me great pleasure to confirm that I have secured the funding required to proceed with the Inis Oírr pier development project. The overall cost of this project is €35.75m, with over €30m for the construction contract alone. This represents the single biggest project funded by my Department since it was established in 2017, reinforcing the Government’s commitment to rural Ireland and Island communities.
“This investment in Inis Oírr will ensure safe year-round access for island residents and visitors alike, with better facilities for ferries, and will support the community to thrive for generations to come.”
Minister for Public Expenditure, Infrastructure, Public Service Reform and Digitalisation, Jack Chambers TD, said:
“This is the first project to be announced since the publication of the revised €275bn National Development Plan last month. This demonstrates the Government’s commitment to delivering essential infrastructure across our country, including our islands and our Gaeltacht communities.
“The benefits of this investment go far beyond the physical structure alone. It will create substantial employment throughout the construction phase, which will bring increased economic activity to the island. This is an investment in people, in a community, and in a vision for the future of our islands and for the future of Irish as a community language. This underscores Government’s commitment to delivering economic growth enabling infrastructure to support families, communities and local enterprise.”
Liam Conneally, Chief Executive of Galway County Council, said:
“I welcome the Department’s funding for the upgrade and extension of the pier on Inis Oírr. This investment supports our Corporate Plan objectives to develop piers and harbours, improving connectivity with our islands. It will strengthen transport links, support the island’s community and economy, and enhance storm resilience and harbour safety.”
“With funding approved, Galway County Council has entered a contract for the next phase of the project. Design and off-site construction can begin immediately, with on-site work expected to start in spring 2026.”
Cllr David Collins, Cathaoirleach of County Galway, commented:
“Today’s announcement is a strong commitment to the future of Inis Oírr, supporting both the local community and the growth of sustainable tourism for generations to come.”
Notes
Our Living Islands is a 10-year national policy for these off-shore islands, and was published in June 2023. The aim of this policy is to ensure that sustainable, vibrant communities can continue to live - and thrive - on the offshore islands for many years to come.