The Youth Justice, Adoption, Youth and Participation Division is responsible for leading and driving reform in the youth justice services; developing policy and legislation in the area of adoption; and the effective administration of youth service funding, along with the reform of youth funding programmes. It is also responsible for ensuring that the voice of children and young people is heard in decision making.
The Division is responsible for supporting the work of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes and the development of legislation in line with the government’s decision in relation to the Mother and Baby Home site at Tuam.
Overall management of each Division shall comprise:
- managing the business generally of the Division
- managing and monitoring the overall performance of the Division
- providing policy advice to the Secretary General, MB, Minister or the government, as appropriate
- ensuring the implementation of Government policies appropriate to the Division
- monitoring Government policies, appropriate to the Division, which affect the department
- ensuring delivery (within the limits of resources provided) of the outputs determined by the Minister and the Secretary General
- managing the Division’s work in implementing the relevant elements of the Statement of Strategy and overseeing the provision of progress reports to the MB, the Secretary General and the Minister thereon
- providing policy advice to the Secretary General and the Minister on all matters within the remit of the department which are appropriate to the Division
- ensuring the effective management of risk within the Division
- ensuring the proper use of Division resources, including effective financial management, and the provision of cost-effective public services appropriate to the Division
- overseeing the assignment of specific responsibilities to individual officers or groups or grades of officer within the Division
- managing matters relating to the appointment, performance and discipline of staff
- ensuring the appropriate co-ordination of the Division’s activities with those of other Divisions