Annes Grove is a 190-acre historic estate with 30 acres of renowned gardens located near Castletownroche, Co. Cork. The estate is situated above the River Awbeg in a landscape of woodland, river and glen reminiscent of poet Edmund Spenser’s epic poem The Fairie Queen, written in nearby Kilcolman Castle. The oldest part of the gardens is the Walled Garden, originally laid out in the eighteenth century, while the Woodlands Garden holds some of the earliest rhododendrons introduced to Ireland. They found their way to North Cork when Richard Arthur Grove Annesley, who inherited the estate in 1892, became a sponsor in the early twentieth century of plant-hunting expeditions in East and South East Asia. It was he, too, who took advantage of the limestone cliffs providing Mediterranean conditions as well as the pockets of neutral and acid soil to create an exotic, sub-tropical Riverside Garden amid a jungle of bamboos, gunnera, skunk cabbage and Himalayan primulas.