A notice about cookies

This website uses cookies. Some cookies may have been set already. To find out more about our use of cookies you can visit our Privacy policy. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it.


Certification, Regulation and Licensing

Published: 12 November 2019
From: Department of the Taoiseach

For all businesses

Certificates, licences and authorisations are required for trade in the EU for many types of goods such as medical devices and construction products, and for services such as in the transport sector.

If you rely on certificates, licences or authorisations issued by UK bodies, in the event of no deal these may no longer be valid in the EU post-Brexit. Similarly, when the UK leaves the EU, the UK bodies may no longer have the authority to issue certificates or licences within the EU.

To avoid disruption and delays, you will need to take the necessary steps to ensure you are compliant with EU rules:

  • You need to check whether your current certifications, licences or authorisations will be valid post-Brexit. If you are a member of a professional body, they may be able to advise you further.
  • In the event of no deal, UK Notified Bodies will lose their status as EU Notified Bodies from the withdrawal date. If you rely on UK Notified Bodies for conformity assessment and/or CE Marking, you will need to arrange to either transfer existing certificates, licences or authorisations to an EU27 Notified Body or to obtain new ones altogether. You can check the EU Commission NANDO website for a list of designated EU Notified Bodies.
  • If you are in the building or hardware trade, check out the guidance from the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government on the regulation of construction products post-Brexit. The Department has also produced a leaflet for the industry on how it can prepare for a no deal.
  • The National Standards Authority of Ireland has prepared useful factsheets that you can consult for further information.

For companies sourcing products from the UK

If you source products from the UK, post-Brexit, you will no longer be considered a distributor but instead classified as an importer. In certain instances, this carries additional responsibilities. These may include checking whether your manufacturers have carried out the appropriate assessments, documentation and legal obligations.

You should contact your suppliers, service providers, logistics companies, wholesalers or distributors for assurances about their services post-Brexit. You are also advised to contact your professional body who may have additional advice for you.

For a range of government supports to help you prepare for Brexit, see programmes, funds and supports.

For companies importing chemicals from the UK

If you plan on importing chemicals from the UK post-Brexit, you will need to ensure that the import of these products complies with EU regulations. The Health and Safety Authority operates a chemicals helpdesk , which can assist businesses with questions associated with the import of chemical products.

Professional qualifications and licences to practise

Information about the recognition of professional qualifications and of licences to practise in regulated trades is dealt with in the staffing section.

Sign up for the Brexit update newsletter

Sign up to the Brexit Update Newsletter to receive regular information on Brexit by email.

Click here to return to the Brexit and Business page.