A notice about cookies

This website uses cookies. Some cookies may have been set already. To find out more about our use of cookies you can visit our Privacy policy. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it.


Humanitarian Assistance Scheme (SWA)

From: Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

What the Humanitarian Assistance Scheme is

The Humanitarian Assistance Scheme provides emergency financial assistance to households who are not able to meet costs for essential needs immediately following flooding or severe weather events.

It is designed to alleviate hardship rather than provide full compensation for damage.

The scheme is activated by the department in response to a severe weather event.

The following is covered under the scheme:

  • emergency income support payments
  • damage to your home and its essential contents, such as carpets, flooring, furniture, household appliances and bedding
  • structural damage may also be considered

The following is not covered under the scheme:

  • losses covered by an insurance policy
  • loss of items deemed to be inessential or luxury items
  • commercial and business losses
  • loss or damage to private rented accommodation or local authority accommodation

How to qualify

Payments are subject to an income test which determines your household’s ability to meet the costs of restoring your home to a habitable condition. All household income will be considered.

Rate of payment

Levels of payment will depend on the relative severity of damage experienced and your ability to meet these costs.


You can contact the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection's Community Welfare Service at your local office.

An application form is available to download here or from your local office.

Supplementary Welfare Allowance Claim Form

Claim Form for Supplementary Welfare Allowance


To help process your claim, you must have the following:

  • evidence of household income (pay slips and so on)
  • estimates for repairs or replacement
  • a copy of your insurance policy
  • paid invoices or receipts
  • any other information which may support your claim