A notice about cookies

This website uses cookies. Some cookies may have been set already. To find out more about our use of cookies you can visit our Privacy policy. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it.

What the Diet Supplement is

Diet Supplement is a payment to help with the cost of a special diet prescribed by your doctor or hospital consultant.

The Diet Supplement was discontinued for new applicants from 1 February 2014.

People who were getting Diet Supplement before 1 February 2014 can keep the payment for as long as they continue to be entitled to the payment.

How to qualify

You are entitled to keep the Diet Supplement for a prescribed diet if you:

  • Have a specified medical condition
  • Meet the conditions for Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA)
  • Satisfy a means test

To get a Diet Supplement a hospital consultant or hospital registrar must certify:

  • That you or your adult dependant or child dependant has been prescribed a diet for a specified medical condition
  • The type of diet prescribed
  • How long you will need the prescribed diet

A gluten-free diet for an adult or a child aged 18 to 22 may be prescribed by your family doctor (GP).

In the case of Diet Supplements, for example, for people with cystic fibrosis, the long-term illness scheme book may be accepted as proof that such a diet has been prescribed. The length of time for which the diet is being prescribed and the type of diet must be stated.

Rates of payment

The weekly cost of each prescribed diet is set by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

The following diets qualify for the diet supplement:

    Qualifying prescribed diets Cost of diet
    Low-lactose, milk-free diet €65.43
    Gluten-free diet €68.43
    High-protein, high-calorie diet €71.43
    Altered consistencies (liquidised) diet €74.93

Make an Application

The Diet Supplement was discontinued for new applicants from 1 February 2014.

Contact us

You should contact the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection's Community Welfare Service at your local Intreo Centre