A notice about cookies

This website uses cookies. Some cookies may have been set already. To find out more about our use of cookies you can visit our Privacy policy. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it.

How Injury Benefit works

Injury Benefit is one of the benefits available under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme.

It is made to you if you are unfit for work due to:

  • an accident at work
  • an accident while travelling (on a continuous journey) to or from work
  • a disease that you contract in the course of your employment or due to the work you do, known as an occupational disease

How to qualify

To qualify, you must be unfit for work for more than six days (excluding Sundays or paid holiday leave).

When the accident happened, or the occupational disease was contracted, you must have been employed under any of the contracts of service or apprenticeships that are insurable at social insurance (PRSI) classes A, D, J or M.

However, even if you are unfit for work for six days or less you can still register a claim as evidence that an occupational accident occurred. This safeguards your future rights to benefit under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme because an illness or disablement can develop at a later date.

Rates of payment

    Weekly rate -
    Personal rate €203.00 -
    Increase for a qualified adult €134.70 -
    Increase for a qualified child Under 12 Over 12
    Full-rate €34.00 €37.00
    Half-rate €17.00 €18.50

Qualified adult means that your spouse’s or partner’s income is below a certain level and you receive an increase in your payment for them.

Increase for a qualified child

To avail of this your child must:

  • live with you, in the State
  • be the correct age for the payment you are claiming
  • not be in legal custody

Depending on your circumstances, some or all of your Illness Benefit payment may be liable to income tax. Tax is not charged on increases paid for any dependent children.

The Department pays Illness Benefit without deducting tax. The Department does, however, notify Revenue of the taxable amount of Illness Benefit to be taken into account for income tax purposes. This means you do not have to do anything for the correct tax to be paid.

Information about the taxation of social welfare payments is available from Revenue and on the Jobs and Pensions page of the Revenue website www.revenue.ie

Social insurance (PRSI) and USC are not charged on Illness Benefit payments


You should apply for Injury Benefit within 6 weeks of becoming ill, otherwise you may lose this benefit. You need an Injury Benefit claim form (IB1) and a medical certificate (MED1).

A medical certificate can be collected from your family doctor (GP). You fill out the Injury Benefit claim form and your doctor completes the medical certificate.

Your last MED1 must should be marked as a Final Certificate by your doctor before you go back to work. If it is not, you should notify the department by .email at ClosemyIBclaim@welfare.ie or by telephone (01) 704 3300, LoCall 1890 92 84 00, If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland please call + 353 1 704 3300

Please send your completed Injury Benefit claim form and medical certs by post to:

Injury Benefit Section
Address: Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Dublin 1, Ireland, PO Box 1650
Telephone numbers: 0170433001890928400