A notice about cookies

This website uses cookies. Some cookies may have been set already. To find out more about our use of cookies you can visit our Privacy policy. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it.


Raise a Concern About a Charity

From: Department of Rural and Community Development

How Raising a Concern about a Charity Works

The Charities Regulator establishes and maintains a public register of charitable organisations operating in Ireland and ensures their compliance with the Charities Acts.

Under Part 4 of the Charities Act 2009, the Charities Regulator can appoint investigators to monitor the affairs of any charitable organisation.

Concerns can be raised about:

  • risk of significant loss or damage to a charity, its assets or beneficiaries
  • charity trustees breaching their duties
  • serious or continued misconduct by those in management and control of a charity
  • a charity not meeting the legal requirement to be a charity (the legal requirement includes having charitable purposes and providing public benefit)
  • a body representing itself as being a charity in Ireland when it is not

How to report a charity

If you have any concerns about a charity based in the Republic of Ireland, please click the link below.