The national anthem, called ‘The Soldier's Song’/‘Amhrán na bhFiann’, was written by Peadar Kearney either early in 1910 or late in 1909 (according to an affidavit signed by him in 1926).
The music, by Patrick Heeney, is understood to have been composed around the same time. The original English text of ‘The Soldier’s Song’ was first published in Bulmer Hobson’s Irish Freedom newspaper in 1912. ‘The Soldier's Song’ was not widely known until it was sung at the GPO during the Easter Rising of 1916.
Liam Ring (Ó Rinn) was responsible for its first translation into Irish in late 1916 and it was published in the Army magazine, An tÓglach, on 3 November, 1923. On 12 July, 1926, the executive council of the Irish Free State decided to adopt the music of ‘The Soldier's Song’/‘Amhrán na bhFiann’ as the official national anthem.
All three men responsible for the national anthem, Peadar Kearney, Patrick Heeney and Liam Ring (Ó Rinn), were from Dublin’s north inner city and lived within 200 yards of each other.
A section of the National Anthem (consisting of the first four bars followed by the last five) is also the Presidential Salute. Listen to the 'Army Band' playing the National Anthem below
A sign-language version of the National Anthem is available below.